Chowannur is a village in Thalappilly Thaluk in the District of Thrisssur in Central Kerala. It is close to Kunnamkulam, just 2 kms in the Kunnamkulam Wadakancherry Road.
The origin of this parish: 20 Syrian catholic families of Chowannur, Panthallur, Porkulam, Ayyamparambu, Marathamkode, Eyyal used to go to Arthat, an ancient parish, some 4 kms away to meet their spiritual needs. Some of them also went to Palayur, the church founded by St Thomas the Apostle, which is 11 kms away. Already by 1875, there was a Hall in Chowannur for catechetical instruction. In 1892, the parishioners decided to build a new church. However, there was a split in the parish as the first parish priest, Fr Aippu Mulakkal, opted to follow the Chaldean (Nestorian) tradition and a strong group protested this move. Peace was restored in 1902 as the parish unitedly accepted Fr Geevarghese Chungath Parekkat as the parish priest, appointed by Mar John Menachery, the Vicar Apostolic of Trichur. Fr Augustine John Ukken was the parish priest here from 1928 till 1953, with a brief gap of 2 years. When he died in 1956, his body was buried inside the church. A new church was constructed in 1962 when Fr Thomas Parekadan was the parish priest. From Chowannur, Eyyal and Parempadam became independent parishes in the year 1963 and 1988 respectively. Because of the increasing number of the faithful, the parishioners, under the leadership of Fr Benny Kidangan, the parish priest, decided to build a new spacious church. The new church will be blessed on 10th April 2010. Time of H. Mass Sunday 6.45 am, 10.30 am, Ordinary days:6.30 pm.